Pages

Saturday 29 June 2013

Crazy London

my tuba is on fire
© Teresa Newham 2013
Was the walk from Blackfriars Station along Bankside to my office ever as interesting as it has been this year?  or am I simply noticing things more, now that I'm officially leaving my company at the end of August?  almost as soon as my leaving date was agreed I started seeing the oddest sights; perhaps they were discouraged from coming out to play last year because of the Olympics!

extreme window-cleaning
© Teresa Newham 2013
Even the dullest job can be turned into some kind of challenge these days, as the window-cleaners in the photo above testify;  I probably shouldn't have been standing where I did to take the picture, either, but they didn't seem worried, they had other things on their mind . . .

a cow on the Millennium Bridge
© Teresa Newham 2013
. . .  and barely a week later I found myself taking a detour onto the Millennium Bridge because it's not every day you see a cow there -  I think it must have been for a promotion.  Even the most hardened of commuters stopped to take a look.

blowing bubbles outside the Tate Modern . . .
© Teresa Newham 2013
This enterprising team have set up their pitch right outside the Tate Modern.  Beats one of those little bubble-making kits we used to buy in the toyshop (do they still sell those?) This is bubble-blowing on a grand scale, effectively letting the wind do the work - and delighting commuters and tourists alike!

. . .  which fly far and wide
© Teresa Newham 2013
And finally (for now) there's the sheer incongruity of spotting folk like the chap below, who was putting up flyers outside the Tate Modern.  I guess he didn't want to be noticed . . .

doesn't everyone dress like this when they're fly-posting?
© Teresa Newham 2013

5 comments:

  1. wow, makes you wonder but in little Olympia WA, I see many sights like this and regret the lack of a camera! Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Ellen! these shots are taken with the camera on my (very basic) mobile phone. I should carry a 'proper' camera but I don't . . . !

      Delete
  2. Wonderful sights! Yes I remember those little bubble making kits. I could barely get a mini bubble out of them. Here's hoping for some more fantastic sights in the next few weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks Jon! yes, there are more to come. It's obviously a crazy Summer :-)

    ReplyDelete