Pages

Thursday 4 February 2016

. . . and the tang of the sea

Skellig Dawn
original watercolour by Teresa Newham

Perhaps it was the salt that made me decide to paint a seascape next?  After my experiments with Cosmos it seemed like a natural progression.  This time I chose Cerulean blue, Quinacridone Magenta, Raw Sienna, and Phthalo Blue, and laid them - not quite as randomly as last time - on pre-wetted paper.


paint and salt, flowing
© Teresa Newham

Once everything was dry and the salt removed, I added another blue wash over the sky and sea areas, and some more salt, which produced this:

a second layer of washes
© Teresa Newham

Using a large brush, I dabbed in the shape of the Skellig rocks in Raw Sienna, then went over them again in magenta and finally blue, brushing in a firmer horizon as I did so.


Skelligs on the horizon
© Teresa Newham
Still not happy, I added another wash over the sea.  Even that didn't make me like this painting, although my husband loved it.  Secretly, I resolved to chuck it in the bin when his back was turned.

Skellig Dawn, with mount
© Teresa Newham

And yet, and yet . . . somehow it stayed taped to its board in the studio for another week, even though I was convinced I was going to throw it away.  But it worked its magic somehow - and now I rather like it!




1 comment:

  1. It's really powerful - sort of majestic with the sun coming up behind those lonely rocks....

    ReplyDelete