Pages

Monday 27 February 2017

Lourdes sketchbook


Roofs & Windows, Lourdes
© Teresa Newham



This year I took my sketchbook to Lourdes more in hope than expectation.  Our itinerary, as ever, was packed; and art is not the priority, after all.  But Our Lady smiled on me;  on our last morning I found myself with a whole free hour before Mass - and the morning was mild and dry!


R. Gave looking towards the Domain, Lourdes
© Teresa Newham


The area around the Grotto was packed with pilgrims waiting for the next prayers, visiting the Grotto and the baths.  I made my way over a bridge to the far side of the River Gave, which is far more peaceful; some folk here were sitting in contemplation while others were on their way to light candles.  It was an ideal place to sketch quietly and take discreet photographs.


the Basilica and the Grotto, Lourdes
© Teresa Newham


Making my way back over the river I headed for the Domain, where pilgrims were scattered about chatting in groups or looking at the information board.  I was able to sketch people in turn while they stood reading it; for all that they look like a group in the drawing below, they came along at different times . . .


pilgrims near the notice board
© Teresa Newham



When I got home, I scanned and printed the black and white sketches and coloured up the printouts with Zig pens to see if colour would improve them.  To tell you the truth I'm still not sure!  What do you think?


Man on bench, Lourdes
© Teresa Newham











2 comments:

  1. Good point! I'm not sure. I think some might work better coloured and others in black and white. I quite like the standing figures in colour, for example, and prefer the statue of Our Lady in B and W.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'm not sure, myself, if colour adds to or detracts from the original. Sometimes it's necessary, in order to clarify something. And sometimes it isn't!

    ReplyDelete